Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tool #3

Wordle: First Grade
This first wordle is just for fun.

Wordle: ch word family
The second wordle is what I would incorporate in my classroom. My idea is to have this as a workstation where the kids create wordle(s) for the different word families. I know the kids will enjoy seeing who can create the most words in each family. I think I would great a word document for each kid where they could save their wordle(s). That way they can save multiple and print out when they have a group of them completed. I just view this as being an engaging tool for the kiddos.


The second image generator that I picked was Bookr. I have to admit that it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be but now that I understand how to use it I feel comfortable teaching it to the kids. At first, I uploaded my pictures to Flickr and then I tagged them so I would be able to use them on Bookr. After many tries, I could not use my pictures to create a book using Bookr. It kept saying no pictures found. I gave up and used the images from the public gallery. I ended up creating a book about insects, which is a unit of study in First Grade. It was a lot of fun once I got the hang of it.

I would love love to use this in my classroom. I am always struggling with get the kids to want to write and I think this would help motivate them. I think it's also a great tool to encourage kids to write a beginning, middle, and end to their stories. They could share their books they created on the activ board and the others could give their feedback. All in all I think it's a great tool that I would definitely use.

My only drawback is I would love to figure out how to use my own photos in Bookr. I would love to have a gallery of pictures the kids could pick from to create their books. That way at first they have a limited number of pictures to chose from and that they also learn what are appropriate pictures to use for their books. Also it would help me teach the kids how to write an engaging story that others will want to read. Hopefully someone else has had success with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment