Friday, July 30, 2010

Tool #9

















Jing

I downloaded Jing and captured my first screen shot. I decided to capture a map of my favorite place ... Sherwood.

I know in First Grade one of the hardest thing to teach kids is how to access a website and enter their login information. I would use Jing to create a short powerpoint on how to access and login into a website. That way I do not have to repeat myself 200 times and the kids become more independent.

We could also use it in Social Studies when we are learning the 10 states. The kids could capture images of a map of each of the states.

Skype

I do not have a web cam on my laptop, so I wasn't able to connect to Skype. I have used it before during an Alumni meeting with my friend Chastine that lives in Washington D.C. That is the only experience I have had with Skype, but I do know that it's a very popular technology tool.

I love the commercial with Ellen Page when she visits the classroom that is taking a "field trip" to Japan. She is amazed when another classroom from Japan pops up on the screen. It is amazing what you can do in a classroom today.

When researching Skype, I thought it was so neat that you could get an author to Skype in and read aloud their book. What a neat way for the kids to interact with a real author. This would be a neat tool during an author study.

I think it would also be neat to have a person living in each of the ten states, that we learn in First Grade, Skype in. It would give the kids a perspective of live in different locations. Oh the possibilities!!

Question? Do our Activ Boards have a web cam?

No comments:

Post a Comment